This is the new Ublox Neo-M8N GPS module that includes a HMC5883L digital compass. This module has a high level of sensitivity and features active circuitry for the ceramic patch antenna. It also comes enclosed in plastic case to protect the module from the elements. This modules outputs precise position updates at 10Hz and also has a rechargeable backup battery for warm starts. The Ublox NEO-M8N is configured to run at a baud rate of 38400 and scan be used with Pixhawk and APM (you might need to modify the cable to fit your autopilot board).
The most important improvement with this module is the vast sensitivity it offers. This modules receives concurrent reception from GPS/QZSS, GLONASS and BeiDou meaning that you should get an excellent signal no matter where you are in the world. Not only does it have this excellent reception capabilities, it maintains its low power consumption. This modules is also backward compatible with the NEO-7, NEO-6 and NEO-5 families.
This module also comes with a circular mounting pad.
- When the GPS modules has power, the blue LED will flash for a second (probably less than a full second). It will then flash constantly once it has a position lock.
- This modules comes with a genuine Ublox chip that enables you to update the firmware* and change the configuration via U-Center. However, if you do not need this functionality, we sell a cheaper version of the NEO M8N GPS module that comes with ROM memory only.
*due to the flash memory on this specific module you cannot update to the V3.01 firmware as the firmware file is too big
- Ublox Neo-M8N module
- Industry leading –167 dBm navigation sensitivity
- Navigation update rate up to 10 Hz
- Cold starts: 26s
- LNA MAX2659ELT+
- 25 x 25 x 4 mm ceramic patch antenna
- Rechargeable 3V lithium backup battery
- Low noise 3.3V regulator
- Power and fix indicator LEDs
- Protective case
- Diameter 60mm total size, 32 grams with case.
- Ships with genuine Ublox chip that enables you to upgrade firmware and change configuration.
From time to time the wire colours may change, but starting from the left to right, here are is the pinout:
6 Pin GPS connector
- Red – 5V
- Yellow – RX (connects to pixhawk TX)
- Green – TX (connects to pixhawk RX)
- Black – Ground
4 Pin I2C connector
- empty (usually 3.3V, but this GPS module has a built in 3.3 regulator so it gets power from the GPS connector 5V)
- Orange – SCL
- Blue – SDA
- empty (usually ground, but shared common ground with GPS connector)